Thursday, May 14, 2009

To see the movie, or not to see the movie?

I just finished reading The Time Traveler's Wife per Ms. Wilkins's recommendation and we started talking about the upcoming movie based on the book.  It got me thinking, and thusly, I would like to put out to all of you in the interwebs the following question...  

Do you enjoy watching the movies of books that you have read?

My answer (for all those who care, and even those who don't) is that I generally try to avoid movies of books that I love.  I thought Troy (The Illiad) was fun but not at all respectful to Homer, I thought A Home at the End of the World was the second worst movie of all time (the first being Mortal Kombat II), however, I do think that the movie Whale Rider is extremely close to being just as good as the book.  That's just a sample of my experiences with movies from books, but enough of me, what do you guys and gals think?

4 comments:

  1. I watch the movies. I watch them knowing I will be horribly disappointed. If I love a story, I usually want to experience the story as much as possible, even if the story is butchered a bit by the movie making process.
    That being said, the pictures in my head I get when I read are usually infinitely better than any movie could ever be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny we started talking about this, I was perusing yahoo! today and saw a trailer for one of my favorite books of all time, The Road by Cormac McCarthy. You can check out the trailer, but I'm guessing I will be skipping this one. I think Viggo Mortensen is great, but I don't think a movie will be able to capture the awesome story of parental love that this book reveals.

    http://movies.yahoo.com/premieres/13468916/standardformat/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to watch this movie. I was deeply saddened when the book ended and this is a way of extending my book joy, even if it is in movie form.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry I did not see the movie but it sounds good!

    ReplyDelete