Tuesday, May 19, 2009

This summer's reading list?

As the school year is coming to a close, I hope I'm not the only one looking forward to reading a few books other than those that are curriculum related.  Is anyone here like me getting together a little stack of books to knock out from June til August?  My list is as follows...

Ceremony by Leslie Marmon Silko
Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut
Ordinary People by Judith Guest
The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls
and any others that my mother-in-law recommends.

What are you guys looking forward to reading this summer?

3 comments:

  1. I'll read the same book i've read every summer since i was ten: IT, by stephen king. this book means a lot to me, and i weep at the end every time. IT also almost won the pulitzer prize in 1986, but the board of directors threatened to quit.
    IT is not the typical horror novel, the book tries to address multicultural themes, an intergalactic, cosmic struggle between beings older than gods and creation, and also tries to address the magic of childhood, and the time period of u.s. history from 1956 to 1986. the book is over 1000 pages( the first stephen king book to be that long). definitely one of the most beautiful and nostalgic novels ever written, but IT is not for the casual reader, or for someone who's never read stephen king.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly, I've been loaned a recent genetics textbook I'm eager to peruse since the field has exploded since I was in college.
    I'm also keen to read The Hour I First Believed by Wally Lamb and also Freakonomics by Steven D. Levitt.

    Guess I'm having more of a nerdy summer than I realized!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rhonda, you are the best. I love it. I've heard Freakonomics is an amazing book.It's definitely on my "to read" list. You guys should read There Are No Children Here. Great book! I aim to finish Water for Elephants, as well as pick up tons of depressing memoirs about people with deep-seated issues (my favorites). I'll also be searching for some shameful beach reads for my days by Lake Michigan so I can put off doing my reading for grad school.

    ReplyDelete