Wednesday, September 2, 2009

How Books Saved Me From Commute Madness

As some of you know, on most days, I commute to and from Chicago. Although the commute hasn't been too bad, I am bothered by the thought of wasting so much time in the car. I bring books or magazines with me everywhere and when I find myself in a moment of downtime, I fill that moment with words. I enjoy sneaking in a page or two at red lights; however, once I hit 90, there aren't anymore lights and it's a pretty long stretch from the last light on 47 to home. Since I don't think anyone will be inventing devices that guide people's cars down the road during rush hour traffic any time soon, I have decided to explore the wonderful world of audiobooks. I am always fretting that there is never enough time to read all of the books I want to read, especially the ones from the GKHS collection. I like to be able to talk with our students about the books we have and I have finally stumbled upon an efficient way to be able to review and recommend a lot of them.

After school, I am headed to Sulzer Regional Library in Ravenswood and then Merlo Library in my lovely Lakeview neighborhood, in hopes of scouring their audiobook bin for books that match those in our collection. I feel this is multitasking at its best. Not only will I be able to break up the boredom of the commute, but I will also be better serve our students. Although I'm still old school and feel that nothing beats the feel and smell of a book, I am grateful to audiobooks for helping me out and for making reading an enjoyable experience for readers who may have struggled in the past.

1 comment:

  1. I listen to audio books to and from work. I also download to my mp3 player to listen to while working on my house. With 2 kids and 1 on the way, I have little time to sit down with a book. Audio books allow me to continue to enjoy the stories while multitasking.

    ReplyDelete